Thursday, June 3, 2010

Watching my mother, seeing myself

My mother has been visiting for the past two weeks. It's the first time that I've really been able to watch her as she interacts with her grand-daughter. Sure, we've visited her in LA, but we are both always so busy that it's really just me tending to D, my mom saying hi and bye and maybe watching her play for a short time.
This time, in Nashville, my mom got to really interact with D on a daily basis - feed her, play with her, take her out and spend quality time with her.
As I am watching my mother tend to D while D is eating, I see that my mother always takes D's spoon and feeds her. So, I say to her, "Mom, you don't have to feed her. She can feed herself..."
To which my mother replies, "I know, but she is so messy. I'd rather just feed her." As she is spoon feeding D and picking up stray pieces from her bib.
It is at that point, that I realize I am actually watching myself. I don't know if y'all recall an earlier posting of mine where I declare that I just cannot take how messy D is while learning how to use a spoon so she is just going to have to master feeding herself when she is a bit more coordinated. Of course, I had since changed my irrational thinking. I mean, kids are supposed to get messy, right? But seeing how my mother was so prissy while feeding D really surprised me that I should take after my mother without even being cognizant of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment