Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ahh Waldorf - Part Deux

I know, I know. I keep raving about Waldorf. But it's because I believe that it truly has made a huge difference in mine and D's life! I am convinced that our trip out to NY was just so smooth sailing and pleasant because when I was visiting with friends, D was able to just occupy herself because now when she is in her own space, she tells stories to herself or sings. All of these things, she learned from Waldorf.
The rhythm in the classroom at Waldorf is such that every day, they have outdoor play, then circle time that lasts for about 15-20 minutes and it's the same songs and gestures (so the kids can actually learn them and have them ingrained in their little brains), then free play, snacktime and then storytelling time where the teacher tells the same story every day and she is not reading from a book but rather telling the story from her mind and using simple props to help the children imagine the story on their own.
I cannot tell you how heartwarming it is when I see D, for instance, taking my friend's reindeer figurine and a bird figurine and then just telling a story about what the two of them are doing. I wish I could've recorded it, but of course, got the thought too late and she was done with her storytelling.
Prior to Waldorf I felt she needed more attention and she would get more whiney and wanting to be part of the conversation. Not so much anymore.
Waldorf truly is a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment