Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Being a mom

Hmmm...I'm beginning to question my "position" as a mother. I am in the midst of joining a moms club out here and one of the questions in the getting to know you section is - What do you love most about being a mom?
Hmmm...is it bad that I don't really have a good answer for that? There's really nothing great about being a mom, is there? Yeah, sure you get to see your kid grow up. She does funny things and is quite a joyful person to be around. But truthfully, it's a whole heck of a lot of HARD WORK to be a mom. I know I preach this a lot but I think the "mom" experience is totally different between a stay at home mom and a working mom and I clearly belong in the latter group. I am not hard-wired to hang out with my kid all day long. I'm just not. Like I mentioned before, I was watching two kids for four days I nearly died. That's just FOUR days!! What about those moms that have 8 kids? No thank you. No thank you very much...
I also think this NVC thing is driving me bananas. It's so difficult to wrap my mind around letting D express her feelings to give her the confidence to make decisions in the future, etc., etc.
Alternative forms of communication rather than "ordering her around". But life is so much easier when you can just order them around and tell them what to and what not to do. Who cares about her confidence in the future? I found mine somewhere in my 30's....
Hah....

1 comment: