Friday, February 27, 2009

2 week check up at the pediatrician's


Dillon went to see her pediatrician yesterday for her two week visit.

She's doing well! Gained another two ounces, though they were a bit concerned considering the baby is at my breast about 14 times in a 24 hour day and apparently, that is a bit excessive? I mean, sure she's using me as a pacifier, but given that, they would think that she would've gained more weight. Uh-oh..I wonder if I'm producing enough milk. Maybe not because I can hardly find time to eat since I have to hold the baby while she is nursing and she is constantly nursing.
Greg and I are now trying to recondition her to take a pacifier (going well sometimes) and also to sleep in a spot separate from mommy or daddy's body. These are the dr's orders. Currently, she is sleeping right through the vacuuming of this house.
It's refreshing having female drs because they can give me their perspectives from a mother's point of view. So far, whenever Greg and I have had questions regarding the baby, her development, how best to approach breastfeeding, crying babies, etc we've gone online (askdrsears.com is a great site), but I swear all these sites with advice are from male drs. Happiest Baby on the Block - great DVD on how to swaddle your baby and comfort her, but again, a man's perspective. You can never spoil a fetus. Let your baby do what she wants because she's just getting accustomed to her new world...don't let her cry and fuss...etc. We read those articles and think, Yes. That makes sense. We should just let her learn and grow on her own time. Then I take that philosophy into the dr's office and she's looking at us like, "Uh, no. Not a good idea." So, here we are retraining her. I still didn't have the heart to put her in her own bed last night because she had had such a long day, lots of crying at the drs office, us messing with her trying to get her to sit in a swing, etc so she got to sleep with mommy. But, maybe tonight we'll try putting her in her own bassinet. Also, how in the world am I supposed to keep my child awake between the hours of 7pm and 9pm?! If she sleeps then, then she tends to wake up in the middle of the night to feed. Oh, wait, here I go again...trying to condition her. Oh..what is right and what is wrong?? Oh yeah, and who am I kidding? If we are putting her in the bassinet tonight, it's gonna be a loooong night. Who wants babies??! Seems more like self torture.

No comments:

Post a Comment